Opens July 1, 2017All Ages
Bounce, glide or leap to our exciting exhibition/dance space designed to introduce children and families to the delights of dance! Celebrate the beauty, spirit, and diversity of the form while learning about the important role dance can play in a child’s world. Discover dance from a variety of entry points: as an art form, as an expression of diverse cultures and traditions, and as a healthy physical activity.
- Interact with the immersive video projection dome dance portal to watch, learn and dance along with professional, community, and student dance companies from New York and abroad. Learn more about organizations featured in the dance portal.
- Create multi-color shadow dances on the “stage” while exploring lighting design with a child-friendly lighting box
- Choreograph a series of dance patterns while learning the language of dance and using movable signs, engaging props and fun costumes
- Experiment with authentic percussion instruments, drumming unique beats and rhythms
- Explore and capture new dance positions by manipulating poseable figures
- Be inspired by photography and video that celebrates the breadth of the dance world, including the fabulous New York City Dance Parade and dance in New York City’s public schools as seen in PS Dance!
- Participate in a dance workshop or take a seat to experience world-class performances!
Special dance programming and performances will complete this “moving” experience!
This exhibition is made possible with public funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the New York State Council for the Arts and the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs. Additional support comes from the Laurie M. Tisch Illumination Fund and Jody and John Arnhold. Generous in-kind donations have been made by Casio America, Inc., Drum Workshop, Inc., Harlequin Floors , Putamayo World Music, Steps on Broadway, and Traveling Tutus.
The Children’s Museum is also grateful for the support and insight provided by its Dance Advisory Board.